It is important to know that pets, like us, can suffer negative effects from the weather. Sometimes even seemingly mild weather conditions can have an impact on our pet's comfort.
This is particularly a problem in dogs, especially after exercise or when left inside a car on a warm day. Overheating CAN KILL your pet, but this can easily be avoided by following the advice below:
Dogs with heat stress may:
The warmer weather provides optimal breeding conditions for parasites, especially fleas. It is even more important to keep flea and worming treatment up to date
at these high risk times, otherwise your pet's health may suffer.
Autumn is an exciting time for us humans with multiple celebrations happening over the next few months, however, our pets may not feel as happy as we do.
This is an extremely common fear in cats and dogs (as well as other pets) as they are frightened by the loud noises and bright colours. Events such as bonfire night, new year's eve and Chinese new year can all cause upset for your pet. Otherwise confident animals can seem suddenly distressed and it is a very anxious time for us as owners. Signs include:
Dog owners can use this questionnaire to assess if their dog has a fear of fireworks.
There are several things you can do to make this less stressful for your pet:
In extreme cases:
Harvest mites (Trombicula autumnalis)
These small parasites can be found in large numbers in long grass or wooded areas in the early autumn. They attach to the legs and face of dogs, cats and sometimes humans and appear as little
orange bumps. While they don't cause serious problems, they do causing itching. It is very important to keep up with routine parasite treatments, however, spot-ons do not tend to stop these mites and
you may require frontline spray.
Christmas Foods & Fun
Many of the tasty treats we like to enjoy around this festival are not so much a treat for our furry friends and in many cases they can cause fatal illnesses. Even seemingly harmless decorations
and presents can pose a problem for pets. Things to watch out for include:
It contains theobromine (a compound similar to caffeine) and is in much higher levels in dark chocolate than white chocolate. Its toxicity depends on the type of chocolate ingested, the amount and the size of your dog. One little square of a standard sized chocolate bar can kill a Yorkshire Terrier. Affected dogs will vomit, have diarrhoea and become dehydrated. They may have a fever, increased heart rates and be hyperactive.• Grapes, Raisins, Currants and Sultanas
These cause renal failure in dogs and possibly cats. Affected pets vomit and have diarrhoea and then progress to renal failure in 24-72 hours. Be wary of your pet eating cake, pudding or mince pies.
Peanuts can make some pets ill causing vomiting, diarrhoea, spasms, agitation and convulsions. Macadamia nuts are highly toxic to dogs and vomiting, depression, lameness, stiffness and
occasional tremors. Pistachios and almonds are bad as well.
And related plants such as garlic, leeks and chives are toxic when cooked or raw. They cause vomiting and diarrhoea and then within a week destroy red blood cells causing severe anaemia. These can be hidden in lots of foods, so be careful.
This is found in chewing gum and causes low blood sugar and liver failure in dogs.
Holly and Ivy are irritating and cause drooling, retching or vomiting. Poinsettia is reported to be very toxic to cats, though ingestion most commonly causes gastric irritation.
In all cases, contact a vet as soon as possible.
This tends to be a problem around Christmas and New Year's Eve. See our section on fireworks above.
Even pets who spend the maority of their time indoors may feel the effects of the cold weather. If you think your pet is suffering from hypothermia bring them indoors to a warm place (not hot as heating them up too quickly can make them ill), dry them with a towel if they are wet and call us for advice.
Outdoor housed pets are particularly vulnerable to the cold weather and there are several steps you can take to avoid problems.
Ingestion of even small amounts can cause kidney failure and death with cats being particularly prone. Unfortunately it tastes sweet so animals will happily drink it if it is available, especially if other sources of water are frozen. It is important to clean up any spillages quickly but we as owners cannot guarantee that our pets will not access antifreeze elsewhere. Seek veterinary advice if you see any of the following:
Salt and Grit
Ingestion can cause salt poisoning which is a life-threatening situation. It can also cause irritation and damage to your pet's feet. When coming back from walks wipe your dog's feet so they cannot lick it off. Consider keeping pet cats indoors if the local area has been gritted recently. Signs to look out for include:
Monday 09.00 - 18.00
Tuesday 09.00 - 18.00
Wednesday 09.00 - 18.00
Thursday 09.00 - 18.00
Friday 09.00 - 18.00
Saturday 09.00 - 12.00
Village Vets Centre Ltd
65 Quarry St
Tel.: 0151 428 8600
Tel.: 0151 428 8600